New skatepark coming to BTV

In 2006  the Burlington Parks Department realized it was time for a bigger and better skate park at the Burlington waterfront, according to burlingtonvt.gov.

The previous skatepark, now completely torn up and excavated, was built over 10 years ago.

Heavy use and Vermont weather made it unsuitable for safe skating.

As part of the city’s new Waterfront Access North redevelopment project, a state-of-the-art skatepark is being put in right where the old one used to be.

“I’m really looking forward to the park and the fact that it’s fully concrete,” junior Jordan Mureta said. “It’s going to be one of the best skate parks in the whole state, and the fact that I live five minutes away from it really excites me.”

At a budgeted cost of $1.4 million, according to the website, skaters from far and wide will have the chance to to skate while enjoying views of Lake Champlain.

The project began back in August, after being approved by voters on Town Meeting Day.

This project has been in discussion for about six years now, with numerous complications arising since then, according to the website.

The visible construction zones at the waterfront shows that progress is being made. This is especially exciting for skaters like Mureta, who said he’s been waiting for this park to open for a while.

The new park is going to spur economic growth according to the website, as there are three skate shops within just a few miles of the park itself.

There are about three to four thousand people of all ages who skateboard, BMX and rollerblade in the city of Burlington, according to burlingtonvt.gov.

The new park was designed by Grindline Skateparks, a Seattle-based company specializing in the design and construction of premium skate parks.

The park plans include many unique features, designed to appeal to those new to the sport and those with a higher level of skill so it’s enjoyable for all ages.

“It’s the scale of the park that is going to attract skaters from all around,” Brendan Foster,  the owner of Maven skate shop in downtown Burlington, said. “Skaters might not travel to skate a bowl, a street course, a mini ramp, etc. Skaters are going to travel to a park that has all of these elements in one place.”

In its 20,000 square foot area, many different structural elements will make this park unique to Burlington.

The vision includes a small bowl and a large bowl, multiple stair and rail features and a Vermont shaped box.

The park will also feature a “sail” bank and  a glass wallride, which is a large glass wall that skaters can ride over or perform tricks off.  This park feature is only in one other skate park in the U.S.

“This new park will undoubtedly be one of the best, if not the best, skatepark in all of New England,” Foster said.

“It’s the scale of the park that is going to attract skaters from all around,” Foster said. “Skaters might not travel to skate a bowl, a street course, a mini ramp, etc. Skaters are going to travel to a park that has all of these elements in one place.”

Maven will be holding events this spring to raise awareness for the park. The projected grand opening is spring 2016.