Zombies infect hip-hop

Jon Zinter

Mosh pits, stage dives and hip-hop; the sold out Beast Coast show was one for the books.

Meechy Darko, Zombie Juice and Erick Arc Elliot of the Brooklyn hip-hop trio, Flatbush Zombies, returned to Higher Ground Nov. 30.

This time they brought their Beast Coast counterparts the Underachievers with them and sold out the Ballroom.

The two groups are on tour in support of their new collaborative mixtape “Clockwork Indigo.”

The show featured a set from each group performed individually, followed by a collaborative third set.

Flatbush Zombies’ popularity grew in 2012 with the release of their “Thug Waffle” music video and mixtape “D.R.U.G.S.”

In 2013, they released their latest mixtape “BetterOffDEAD” to critical acclaim.

Fans come to Flatbush Zombies first for their gritty brand of psychedelic hip-hop, but stay for Arc’s top of the line production and the group’s cohesiveness.

Plain and simple, nobody raps like Meech. Nobody.

The Flatbush Zombies’ set started off with a solo performance of the song “Thugnificence” by Juice. After that, Meech and Arc joined him for the new song “Don’t Do Drugs Kids.”

Flatbush Zombies are known for their high-energy shows and Meech alone has made the stage dive his live trademark

“Death” and “Death 2”, a couple of morbid and aggressive songs from “BetterOffDEAD”, were connected by a chilling audio recording of Charles Manson.

Solo performances of “Death 2” and “Face-Off (L.S.Darko)” truly showcased Meech’s relentless flow and Caribbean drawl.

The songs fit together perfectly, energized the crowd and allowed Meech to take the spotlight.

The Flatbush Zombies’ confident stage presence during their classic songs “Mary, Nothing Above Thee” and “MRAZ” is a testament to their longevity.

“MRAZ” was as unique and edgy as it was two years ago.

Flatbush Zombies proved their rapping talent several times throughout the show when they cut the beat and rapped their lyrics a cappella without making a single mistake.

Their set ended with the bass-heavy “S.C.O.S.A.”

The third and final set of the show featured both Flatbush Zombies and the Underachievers dressed in white.

Most expected to see them perform songs solely from the “Clockwork Indigo” mixtape.

Fans were pleasantly surprised, however, to see the groups collaborate to perform popular songs from both of their repertoires.

Everyone in the building seemed to know the words to “Thug Waffle,” and fans of the Underachievers got their “Herb Shuttles.”

Clockwork Indigo’s set was finished after “LUAM,” a song from the collaborative mixtape, which had verses from everyone on stage.

Both groups looked really comfortable performing together.

When the show was over and the moshing stopped, Meech took the spotlight to address a sweat-drenched crowd with his motto— “open your fucking mind!”